Pages

Best Age For Kids to Get Braces

Old Man With Braces
I Wish They Had Clear Braces When I Was Young. 
When I was 10 years old, my father insisted that I get dental braces to correct my crowded teeth. I was scared to death - not so much about having the braces installed but with the potential embarrassment of having classmates at Mount Carmel Elementary School make fun of me. 

I could only imagine the barrage of  "brace face" and "railroad track" comments about to come my way.  At an age when peer pressure was just starting to kick in, the last thing I needed was to have another kid ask me if I could receive any radio stations with all that steel in my mouth.

After a month of anxiety, the day of the dreaded appointment with the Orthodontist finally arrived.  Dr. Jack Dawson was a kind and gentle soul who seemed old to me. In hindsight, he was probably only 40 years old or so. 

It took about 10 minutes to realize that Dr. Dawson was my new hero.  He did say that my teeth were a little crowded, and then said words that were golden to my tender ears: You Don't Need Braces Yet.  He went on to tell my dad to wait a couple of years to let my teeth develop some more and bring me back in a couple of years.  Glory be.  You would have thought I won the lottery.  No more fear of doom and unforeseen ridicule from a bunch of 10-year vermin I called classmates.

* Update: Since writing this article on August 9, 2012 I have learned of the passing of Dr. Edward Jack Dawson on September 4, 2012.  Although it has been 45 years since I have seen him, I will always remember Dr. Dawson as a kind and gentle man.  He was an outstanding person who is worthy of praise for the legacy he left. 

Did I Ever Get Those Braces?
I never did have to get braces. Ironically, when was 20 years old I wanted to get them.  It was 1977 and an age of self-evaluation where personal appearance became more of a concern than in my younger years. 

Since Doctor Dawson had retired, I chose Dr. John Matney in Newport News to deliver the verdict of whether or not my pie hole needed some work.  My appointment was more than insightful.  After his initial examination, complete with X-Rays and a series of questions, he asked me a very pointed question:  Why  exactly do you think you need braces? 

I explained being self-conscious about how crowded my lower set of teeth were. The upper teeth were fine. Just wanted them on the lower teeth.

He laughed and told me I didn't need braces - I would be wasting my time and money.  He thought they were a little crooked but not much more than the average Joe.  He went on to say that even the slightest imperfection is much more pronounced to the individual, especially if you are at the age where you think that being perfect is the ingredient to a fulfilling and happy life.

Many years have passed since these dental appointments.  Now in my 50's, I never did get braces and pleased to still have all my teeth.  Heck, Straight, crooked, or bent - I wouldn't even care so long as I'm able to still chew my food with the ivory that God gave me. 

The mechanics and how Braces are installed hasn’t changed that much since my first visit to the Orthodontist 40 years ago.  What have changed are the styles and colors. There many more choices to fit the personality and function of the patient. 

I only wish the clear plastic braces were around when I was young.  I still may not have gotten them, but it sure would have eliminated what turned out to be an unfounded fear of being the only kid in the 4th grade that could tune into the Met's baseball game by simply opening my mouth and pointing it in the right direction.